Wednesday, March 24, 2021

12 Years Old

As a girl, there comes a time when you realize that the world around you is different. Your mom starts telling you to be more aware, to not walk too far from her, or to never stray from your friends when in a public setting. This change also comes along with men looking at you differently, some girls recognize this change in a more gradual or drastic way. My experience was eye-opening and infuriating. I was 12 years old, walking with my mother during a summer afternoon. My ignorance towards the cruelties of men came to a sudden halt when a man came behind me and grabbed me aggressively. At 12 years old I had not even had romantic feelings for a boy. This event had me sick to my stomach and stopped me from talking to anyone for two days. I felt vulnerable, violated, and disturbed at such a young age. From this day on I began to be more aware of my surroundings, such as looking behind me as I go on runs, check my backseat before I hop into my car, and never underestimate what men are capable of. 

Although the feelings of vulnerability and disgust were doormat in me for years, the abduction and killing of Sarah Everard sparked a great amount of fear and anger in me. Sarah Everard was allegedly abducted and killed by a cop, by an official who is expected to protect people from crime. This case sparked movements and protests of the brutalities that women still face today. This situation also made me feel for those who have suffered brutalities at the hands of men, such as sexual assault and harassment. 

In hopes of helping those who have experienced sexual harassment, and are experiencing the emotional drainage and trauma,  I will discuss some tips for those who have experienced harassment.


1. Talk to an adult or a trusted person.
(Although this may take time it is important to ask for help). 
2. If you don’t feel comfortable talking to someone you know, you can always give a call to RAINN, 855-897-5910
3. Consider medical options
4. Process your experience
5. Consider your legal options
6. Reconnect with yourself

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing your story, as well as your helpful tips. It is important to discuss this issue, so that we can become more educated, and grow out of the hostile environment that currently exists for women.

    ReplyDelete